Connect with me

Hello and welcome to my blog formerly called Gypsy-K. Please note that I am only updating this blog while I am walking from Rome to Jerusalem from September 2015. My online home and permanent blog is at www.kymwilson.com.au. You can also sign up for pilgrim postcards and newsletters here. Thank you for being here and supporting my journey. With love and courage, Kym xx

Tuesday, 11 October 2011

A piece of peace

The rain streams down from silver grey sky. For two hours it has alternated between drizzling and pouring. Incessant. I am stranded but at least I am dry. For now.

Curled up on a cracked brown leather arm chair with a cup of hot milky coffee in my favourite cafe, I sit and watch and wait for the right moment to leave. It’s not going to stop anytime soon. I know. I’ve seen this monsoon rain before but today I was not prepared. Not anticipating the relentless downpour, I ventured out in short cotton dress and leggings without my poncho. If I want to make it home this afternoon then I will have to ride in the rain, my clothing, my skin, unprotected. It will be a wet, cold, stinging journey home. This I also know. I've done it before.

The shower wanes. I brace, anticipating the moment to grab my handbag and make my escape. Then seconds later it intensifies once more. Too heavy and too wet to safely drive home. I sit back.

I wait. And watch. And wait. And watch.  The rhythm of the rain. Streaming for endless minutes, ebbing teasingly before intensifying once more. The pattern repeating.

Somehow, in my waiting and watching, I find a small piece of inner calm. Or rather, it finds me, sneaking upon me in the breaths between the waiting and watching. Accepting that in this moment this is where I am and there is nothing I can do to change it. I relax and enjoy the beauty of the falling rain and a small piece of peace.

Then it starts pouring harder once again and the moment passes. I look at the clock. It’s 3 o’clock. I’ve been held captive here for two and a half hours and all I can think is “Bloody hell, am I ever going to make it home today?”


Chao Fa West Road, Chalong, Flooded

Rain passing by, Naiharn Beach, Phuket, Thailand

 Night-time rain, Ao Chalong, Phuket

More night-time rain, Ao Chalong, Phuket

No comments:

Post a Comment