Connect with me

Hello and welcome to my blog formerly called Gypsy-K. Please note that I am only updating this blog while I am walking from Rome to Jerusalem from September 2015. My online home and permanent blog is at www.kymwilson.com.au. You can also sign up for pilgrim postcards and newsletters here. Thank you for being here and supporting my journey. With love and courage, Kym xx

Thursday, 15 December 2011

December 14 – Reverb11 - Jnana (Self-knowledge)


Name something you did that was completely out of character. How did it feel?

This year I walked 120 kilometres through Tuscany, alone. I have never really hiked any where. I mean I’ve walked up the 1000 steps in Ferntree Gully National Park several times in life but not for many years. And in my early 20’s I hiked up The Pinnacle in the Grampians. It certainly was breath-taking as I stopped every twenty minutes to get my breath back. But that is as much hiking as I have ever done in my life.

After coming back to Melbourne to contract for 6 months, I started walking to work and back every day, approximately 8 kilometres return trip. And I really enjoyed it. So when I started dreaming about where to go and what to do in Europe, I discovered a very long walk called Via Francigena and that a section of it ran through the hilltop villages of Tuscany, somewhere I had always wanted to go. My heart raced. I could feel the adventure coursing through my veins. But the voice of sensible me spoke up telling me I was insane, I’ve never walked like this before, do I really think I can do it? I decided to sit with the idea for a week or so and then make a final decision. Excitement and adventure won out. I went. I walked, alone, and got lost, a lot. I had an amazing adventure that I will never regret.

Sunset over San Miniato

Walking through vineyards, Tuscany


No comments:

Post a Comment