Connect with me

Hello and welcome to my blog formerly called Gypsy-K. Please note that I am only updating this blog while I am walking from Rome to Jerusalem from September 2015. My online home and permanent blog is at www.kymwilson.com.au. You can also sign up for pilgrim postcards and newsletters here. Thank you for being here and supporting my journey. With love and courage, Kym xx

Tuesday, 27 December 2011

December 26 – Reverb11 - Seva (Service)


How did you serve in 2011? Do you plan to volunteer in 2012?

This year I spent two months volunteering at a grass-roots NGO in India called Prime Trust who focus on women’s empowerment. I helped to look after boys who were orphaned or unable to live at home.  I lived in the building that housed the day-care centre and evening remedial schools so I spent some time playing with little 3 year olds in the morning and helping the remedial school kids at night.

I returned to Thailand just after the floods started to hit Bangkok.  Soi Dog put a call out for volunteers to go and help look after flood-affected dogs that were being relocated to Phetchaburi,  just south of Bangkok. I love dogs and didn’t have to think twice.  I jumped on a plane and a couple of mini buses and went and helped for a week.  It was hot and dirty work.  Cleaning cages, feeding, giving fresh water and then walking and playing with the dogs.  I fell in love with a lot of them and wished I could take them home but many were owned and I’m not in a position to adopt.

As my life is in transition, I don’t have set plans to volunteer at this stage but I do hope to.  I loved both of my volunteering experiences, being of service and meeting some really wonderful people along the way.

With fellow volunteers at Wildlife Friends Foundation Thailand
One of my doggy patients wanting to say hello
A loving kiss, grateful to be out of the cage

No comments:

Post a Comment