Connect with me

Hello and welcome to my blog formerly called Gypsy-K. Please note that I am only updating this blog while I am walking from Rome to Jerusalem from September 2015. My online home and permanent blog is at www.kymwilson.com.au. You can also sign up for pilgrim postcards and newsletters here. Thank you for being here and supporting my journey. With love and courage, Kym xx

Saturday, 28 January 2012

How to transplant a life


Right now, I’m taking a personal lesson in how to transplant plants as it applies to my life.

According to ehow.com, “Plants that have begun to outgrow their containers need to be transplanted in order to keep the plant healthy. Root bound plants often become unhealthy and slow growing. Take care when transplanting because doing so can be traumatic to your plants. By following a few simple steps, you'll ease the shock that the plant experiences during the transplant.

I already recognised the need to transplant. My roots were becoming somewhat bound and my personal growth was stagnant. But unfortunately, I wasn’t quite familiar with the transplant process. A few days after arriving back in Melbourne, I discovered how traumatic transplanting one’s self from an old to a new but old pot can be. Yes, I’m back in a familiar environment but my roots are unsettled and feel somewhere between the old pot and the new.

Ignoring my own needs and barely allowing the jet lag to wear off, I began jamming the soil down around the plant in the new pot. I threw myself into what I thought I should be doing, namely job hunting and getting on with a regular, everyday life. I didn’t allow myself time to get used to the feeling of the new pot and I didn’t apply the right combination of fertiliser, light and water to allow myself to thrive in the new environment. I became stressed. I put on a blooming smile but inside I have been wilting and shriveling.

Fortunately a conversation with my very wise, eldest sister enabled me to discover what was going wrong with the transplant process and I altered it immediately. According to step 6 of How to Transplant Plants, one must “place the plant in low light for several days. Continue with the plant's regular watering schedule for several weeks, but after that, you may need to adjust the watering and fertilizing schedules according to the plant's new needs.”

Right now, I’ve stopped jamming the soil down around the roots and am allowing the roots to naturally settle back into Australian soil. I’m not actively job hunting or forcing myself to re-build my life here. I’m allowing myself to rest and look after my health. I am surrounding myself with friends and family. I am being with and allowing the sadness of leaving behind a place and time I have loved. And I am writing. I am writing the book I always said I would write about my travels and this writing allows me and reminds me to be grateful for where I have been and what I have experienced to get me to this place in my life.

I’ll check how the plant is going again in a few weeks. In the meantime if you want to learn for yourself how to transplant a plant, read more here: How to Transplant Plants | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_2085750_transplant-plants.html#ixzz1kd0bp5Fq


Blooming yellow daisy at Lavandula, Shepherds Flats, near Daylesdford

No comments:

Post a Comment