Connect with me

Hello and welcome to my blog formerly called Gypsy-K. Please note that I am only updating this blog while I am walking from Rome to Jerusalem from September 2015. My online home and permanent blog is at www.kymwilson.com.au. You can also sign up for pilgrim postcards and newsletters here. Thank you for being here and supporting my journey. With love and courage, Kym xx

Monday, 1 October 2012

Monday Morning Gratitude


I am woken early by the clinging and clanking of the recyclable rubbish being emptied into the garbage truck followed by hard plastic scraping the concrete footpath as the bin is wheeled back and plonked onto the pavement.

I doze and awake to the singsong chatter and stomping of my housemate’s two-year old son as he runs around the house. It is soon followed by a sobbing wail as he protests the morning ritual of getting dressed.

I doze and awake to the clomping of three pairs of shoed feet and the slamming of doors as they leave the house to start the working day.

I doze and wake to the rattle of plastic against wood as my phone vibrates on my bedside table. I answer, blinking away the remnants of slumber sitting heaving on my eyes.
“What time is it anyway?” I ask.
 “It’s 8.40am,” my friend replies.
“I’m glad you woke me up, I didn’t want to sleep the morning away anyway.”

I am grateful for the wake up call.

Awake, I now move slowly into my day. I sip fresh plunged coffee whilst reading the blogs that inspire me. I journal my morning pages and take time to examine my fears and what comforts me. I speak to some friends. And now I write.  

This week, I set the intention to bring myself back to the page, to face my words, my story, my truth and listen to what it wants to tell me.

Today, our picket fence is blinding brilliant white, bathed in spring sunshine and the red-tinged leaves of the rose bushes flutter. The sunshine summons insistently. Today, I will take my words outside.  

This time, this freedom is the blessing of the financial sacrifice I have chosen. There is no need to rush into the world but decide how, where and with whom I want to spend this time and spend it well. It is almost always with words.

And I am grateful. But I am not always so. Sometimes I forget the blessings in my life. Sometimes I focus too much on the things that I don’t like and want to change and forget to say thank you for all that is great in my life.

So every night, to remind myself and integrate gratitude into my life for the things I most take for granted, I say the following Thanksgiving prayer:

We return thanks to our mother, the earth,
which sustains us.

We return thanks to the rivers and streams,
which supply us with water.

We return thanks to all herbs,
which furnish medicines for the cure of our diseases.

We return thanks to the moon and stars,
which have given to us their light when the sun was gone.

We return thanks to the sun,
that has looked upon the earth with a beneficent eye.

Lastly, we return thanks to the Great Spirit,
in Whom is embodied all goodness,
and Who directs all things for the good of Her children.

~ Iroquois ~


What are you grateful for today?

The Prayer - Wat Saket (Golden Mount) Bangkok

Fallen Frangipani, Chiang Mai, Thailand

Floating Krathong, Loi Krathong, Naiharn Lake, Phuket, Thailand

4 comments:

  1. Great post Kym and yes we do get caught up and forget the good things in our life we should be grateful for.. thanks for the lovely reminder beautiful words.
    Carla x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very much true that most of us forget to say thanks for the day for being extremely busy in our day to day life. Your post is a good reminder that we should thank God for the day we had and for every beautiful thing in our life. Thanks for the nice and inspiring read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shruti. I wrote it to remind myself but it is nice to know that it resonates with others and might remind them as well :)

      Delete