Connect with me

Hello and welcome to my blog formerly called Gypsy-K. Please note that I am only updating this blog while I am walking from Rome to Jerusalem from September 2015. My online home and permanent blog is at www.kymwilson.com.au. You can also sign up for pilgrim postcards and newsletters here. Thank you for being here and supporting my journey. With love and courage, Kym xx

Friday, 4 October 2013

Day 33: Lausanne

Number of kilometres today: 32.7
Total kilometres walked from Canterbury: 920.1
Total steps since Canterbury:  1,303,838

Today was a relatively easy walk through woodlands with a few steep climbs, alongside  from village to village until I found myself walking excitedly downhill to Lausanne. It was cloudy most of the day. The sun looked like a small silver moon.  I still managed to get sunburnt. 

Lausanne is beautiful but feels too big for me after a month spent largely in small villages and most of my time spent alone in the middle of the countryside.  I had thought to stay here for my rest day but the reality is it is expensive and if I stay here, I won't rest,  I will end up walking everywhere to look at everything.

I have walked for 16 days without a break and only 4 of those were under 30 kilometres.  My feet are really sore and need a break. I have spent a lot of time in the last few days on bitumen and concrete which is really hard under foot and I have noticed how much firmer the sole of Red Beasts Mk 2 are compared to the old ones.  Tonight no amount of massaging is getting rid of the soreness. They feel swollen and bruised.

I have  booked myself into a hotel for 2 nights In Vevey which means just a 26 kilometre walk tomorrow then I will have a whole day of rest in which I really hope to put my feet up and let them and my legs o nothing or at least very little and recover from the last two weeks and prepare for crossing the Alps.  

I am gutsy and determined but I am a little nervous.  I was reading the blog of a pilgrim who walked the Via Francigena last year and there is a section from Martigny to Orsieres that is really challenging, well her guidebooks described it as treacherous.  Mine describes it as not liked by some walkers.  I looked at her photos and there are some quite steep and narrow descents and I am worried about how I will manage that with The Devil on my back and my whinging knees.  Her and her friend sent their packs ahead by taxi and this may be something I need to consider.  

Just not right now. The only thing that matters right now is a good night's sleep.


View from my window. Sunset over Lake Geneva.

And that purple shade on the horizon, that's the Alps. I laugh a little hysterically every time I look at them. Soon I will he crossing them by foot!


2 comments:

  1. Wow, wow and WOW!

    C'mon feet - heal two weeks worth in one day would you ? x

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your feet deserve a day off! x

    ReplyDelete